Family and Domestic Violence

If you're a Queensland Country Member experiencing a domestic or family violence situation, you can speak to our team about your financial needs. Queensland Country provides confidential support to help customers with their immediate banking needs.

If you are unable to call, you can get support by completing our online form. Once you submit your form online, the team will call you at a safe time during business hours to help you.

Alternatively, you can call our Contact Centre 1800 075 078.

What is financial abuse in a domestic and family violence situation?

Financial abuse is a serious form of domestic and family violence that occurs when an abuser uses money as a means to gain power and to control their partner or family member. It occurs in many different forms and can affect anyone.

Financial abuse is one of the most powerful ways an abuser can keep their partner or family member trapped in an abusive relationship, and may also impact on that person’s ability to stay safe once they leave the relationship.

Support is available

If you’re in danger, please call the police on 000.

If you or someone you know is experiencing financial abuse, there are free services you can access.

  • As a first point of contact, we recommend calling 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732. This is a free and confidential service. If you need an interpreter or translator, you can ask for one and the counsellor will make the arrangements.
  • Alternatively, you can call Lifeline on their 24/7 Crisis Support hotline 13 11 14

Joint Accounts and Debits

Joint accounts and debts that have been set up during the course of a relationship need special attention, especially debts that are in both of your names. It’s important to know that:

  • Funds held in joint bank accounts are owned by both people on the account, and
  • Debts in joint names are owed by both borrowers. When debts are in joint names, both account holders are responsible for repaying the full amount of the loan (known as joint and severable liability).

If you’re having difficulties making your payments, call 1800 075 078. Our Hardship team will be able to assess if there is anything we are able to help you with, such as payment deferral (please note that there is suitability criteria that needs to be met).

If you have a joint loan with us, you can ask for hardship assistance by contacting our Credit department. If you have joint accounts with us, you can ask for assistance by contacting Membership Support.

Alternatively, to request a call from Queensland Country Bank to discuss your situation, please complete your details and preferred contact times below and one of our team will be in contact.

Required information
Is it safe to leave voicemail?

We recommend you seek legal advice. You can contact various legal services for free information about the law and how they can assist you

This is general information, so we recommend you seek legal advice for specialist advice about a property settlement and your rights in joint accounts and debts.